Welcome to pack 356!
We are excited to have you and your son as members of the pack and look forward to an exciting and fulfilling time together on the scout journey. To assist, we have compiled a short list of “First things First” for you, the parent, to have as first steps in getting started in scouts. We know this is all new, but believe you will find very straight forward and a good way to get started. If you ever have any questions, please contact us, or ask your den leader or any scout leader for assistance.
New Scouts: “First things First” list:
Complete Your Paperwork
- Complete and submit all registration paperwork and submit your payment for annual dues.
- Ensure it is complete and the BSA form is signed at the bottom right.
Get Your Uniform
- Go to the scout store and purchase a compete “class A” scout uniform for your scout a scout handbook “by rank”. We will order the “class B” uniform (tee shirt) and distribute to your den leaders.
- The Cubmaster will communicate the rank (Tiger/Wolf/Bear/Webelos) and their DEN # for their uniform to you.
- The folks at the store will walk you thru the complete uniform and everything he will need, they are very helpful (you can also go online as there is a lot of information on uniforms). We do have uniform inspections at the pack and den meetings.
- The handbooks are new this year, total revamped and are very good.
- The cut scout handbook is by rank (Tiger/Wolf/Bear/Webelos) and is a wonderful tool and guide for both the scout and the parent, clearly outlining the scout program, rank achievements, electives etc. the scout can work on and track their progress all year long.
- ** uniforms can be purchased at the scout store (1800 Circle 75 Pkw, Atlanta, GA (770) 989-8820)…additionally there are several web sites which sell used cub scout uniforms etc.)
Signup for Scout Tracker
- Scout tracker – this is a web site which the pack uses to track scout achievements thru the year, award recognition for achievements and “rank up” at the end of the year to their next rank level. www.scouttracker.com. The Cubmaster will send you a password to allow you to log on…you are responsible to:
- Set up your user and log on.
- Input your scouts achievements as they work with their dens and pack on their achievements (these are ALL outlined in their scout handbook). The Cubmaster tracks the achievements monthly, runs a report and purchases ALL the recognition badges, pins etc. prior to each pack meeting.
Take Youth Protection / Training
- We recommend all new parents take the online Youth Protection Training (www.myscouting.org). The Youth Protection Training, which only takes 20-30 minutes and it is an informative training module.
- If you are completely new to Scouting, you may find it beneficial to take the “this is Scouting” training module as well.
- “Many hands make light work!”
- Every year we have families transitioning out of Cub Scouts into Boy Scouts, and new families to the Pack. We need your help to “make the Pack go!” Just ask the Cubmaster and your Den Leader how you can volunteer.
Get More Information
- Read the Cub Scouts Parent Information Guide
- There is a wealth of information on the web:
Again, welcome and please feel free to any and all questions…and enjoy the journey!